Blog Archive

Friday, January 6, 2012

Recent satellite images of the Arctic

Dear Readers,


If you know how to read the colors on these images, please let me know.  A particular satellite stopped working last year, and its images had to do with temperature (I think), and then these images began to appear.  They are all from the Danish site (http://www.seaice.dk/latest-ice.html).  I go to that page, then click on the upper left link to this page (the images on this page update about every 24 hours, so links to images disappear): http://www.seaice.dk/iwicos/latest/


Ask me why I can't stand Microsoft.  Constant upgrades to your system.  In this case, my default image viewer was replaced by Internet Explorer.  However, when I view these images using slideshow, it maintains the reference points.  Thus, using slideshow, I can look at the same spot on these images and see changes over time quite well. The dark spot near the Laptev Sea is growing.  I was able to see from a Modis near real time orbital swath image that there was some open water near there a few days ago.  (I don't know how to describe directions in the Arctic -- what is east to some is west to others, guess I would have to use longitude and latitude, but am too lazy to go that far right now.)


Dates for these images are 2011.12.21, 2012.01.04, 2012.01.05 and 2012.01.06.




No comments: